In this short informative article you will find out my top tips on how to make a tasty apple cake the things you needs and some quick helpful tips on vegan baking. You will also find the recipe to our delicious moist apple cake recipe – How to make vegan apple cake!
So, I have been playing around with my apple cake recipe for awhile now and if i’m honest I always adapt it a little each time I make it, maybe a little more spice or sugar depending on my mood. But as I had a fair amount of pink lady apples hanging (not my usual cooking apples though) around that wouldn’t be eaten in time before they went off i decided to experiment with my traditional apple cake but with Pink Lady apples.
So, I thought I’d give my recipe a tweak and use the pink lady apples I had in the house, as like everyone else is right now I am just trying to use up every little bit of food before heading to the supermarket.
This is a super moist, and tasty cake, the spices make it the perfect Easter treat, but who am I kidding it’s perfect for any and all occasions. Definitely one you can perfect for when we can enjoy cake with friends again!
For the Apple cake:
- 225g Self raising flour
- 140g Sugar
- Half a Lemon
- 2tsp All spice
- 0.5tsp Nutmeg
- 2tsp Cinnamon
- 175ml Almond milk
- 100ml Sunflower oil
- 3 pink lady apples
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 1tsp Baking powder
- 3 tsp of brown sugar
For the icing:
- Splash of water
- 1 table spoon of crunchy peanut butter
- 1 tsp of vanilla essence
- 50g of maple syrup
- 80g Icing sugar
Method for the cake:
- First pre heat your oven to 180C/350F and line your loaf tin.
- Prep the apple – (Some of your apple will go into the dry mix and some will be added to the very top of your cake) quarter your 1.5 apples and carefully slice. Peel the remaining 1.5 apples and chop up into roughly 1cm cubes.
- Place all the sliced and cubed apple into a bowl with the ground spice and squeeze the juice of the lemon then mix together and leave whilst prepping everything else.
- Weigh and put all of your dry ingredients into one large bowl and mix.
- In a jug measure out the wet ingredients and mix together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with dry ingredients, and mix. Once the mixtures are combined add the cubed apples, to the mix and pour the mixture into the lined loaf tin.
- Now you can be as decorative as you’d like and place all of the sliced apple on top of the cake batter. The sprinkle the brown sugar over the top and place in the oven.
- Cook for 35 – 50 minutes. Use a knife to check if the mixture is cooked, by placing the middle of the cake, when you pull it out there should be no mixture left in the knife.
Method for the icing:
- Place all ingredients into a bowl and mix. Depending on whether you like thick icing or more of a drizzle/glaze add more or less water and or icing.
Once the cake is out of the oven, let it cool. If you can wait that long… Then add the amazing peanut butter and maple icing and serve/eat immediately!
What are the best apples for baking?
It is great to have a variety of apples, as they can give different flavors and textures to the cake. However the best apples to use in cakes and crumbles are the sharper apples as they tend to keep their shape, like Granny Smiths of Bramley cooking apples.
However if you use a Golden Delicious or Pink lady then this already sweet apples creates a great moist appley almost saucey deliciousness within your cake.
Do I peel apples for apple cake?
Unpeeled apples will add a bit of color and texture to your pie, but they may prevent the apples from melding together when baked. When you use peeled apples they give you a delicately soft pie. Lots of people think that the peel of the apple is where the best nutritional value comes from.
How do you keep an apple cake fresh?
The best way to keep your apple cake fresh (other than eating it imminently) is to wrap it up so as no air can get to it , whether you use cling film or a reusable wrap just ensure that it is securely sealed.
It should last 3 – 4 days in the fridge but you could also freeze it and then it can last up to a year in the freezer, unsure it is completely thawed out before eating though.
If you have a cake container then the cake if not immediately eaten should be fresh for at least 2 days you could maybe stretch to three but cake is definitely best eaten the day it is made and then the next.
Best oil to use in a vegan cake?
So in vegan cakes oil can be a great way to substitute eggs, I tend to use rapeseed oil, vegetable oil or sunflower oil. You need an oil that is relatively flavorless, as you don’t want to taste the oil it is there to bind and make your cake moist and fluffy.
How to make a moist vegan cake?
I have found that the use of a non flavored oil and a dairy free milk or yogurt are the best ingredients to create a moist fluffy vegan cake.
What are the egg replacements in vegan cakes?
- Flax seed
- Chia seeds
- Egg replacer
- Apple sauce
- Apple cider vinegar
All of these I have used and they work amazingly, I think it also helps using baking powder and bicarb to get the right amount of rise and fluffyness for your cakes, and the use of a great alternative dairy milk or yogurt I like to use almond or coconut milk in most of my cakes, and I tend to use a vanilla or plain alpro yogurt in my lemon drizzle cake.