So, as it is getting colder and it is lock-down yet again… I thought it would be a great opportunity for me to share one of my favourite homemade soups. It is a really easy soup to make and one I have been making for years, even before I started my plant based journey. It is a real crown pleaser. I have made it for work lunches in the past! It is warming and wholesome, you can also freeze it and adapt it to make it spicier if you like it hot!
- 200g of dried red lentils
- 1 litre of vegetable stock ( we use KALLO)
- 2 heaped tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 tsp of dried chilli flakes (habernero if you like it really spicy)
- seasoning salt and pepper
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- handful of chopped coriander
- Can of chopped tomatoes Preparation: 5 mins Cooking: 20 mins Ready in: 30 mins
- In a large saucepan add a splash of oil and add in the chopped onion, cumin and chilli flakes,. Stir this continuously so as it doesn’t burn for 5 mins – until the onion is soft.
- Add the lentils, chopped tomatoes and stock. Stir this altogether and bring to the boil. Then leave to simmer for 15/20mins, until the lentils are soft.
- Once lentils are soft, your soup is ready, we then blitz this before adding the chickpeas and warming them through. Serve with a sprinkling or in my case a huge amount of coriander.
Preparation: 5 mins
Cooking: 20 mins
Ready in: 30 mins
We love to add a sprinkling of coriander, but to add an extra little bit of decadence we love to dollop a bit of creamy dairy free yoghurt into the centre there are loads out there to choose from, we like the greek style alpro yoghurt.
If you are a real spice find then add a few dried chillies on top, perfection.
Of course you can serve with a lovely roll, we quite like a ciabatta roll with it!
Let me know how you get on and comment below!